When getting in to the business of breeding dogs, whether it’s one dog or twenty dogs, all the legal requirements can get confusing. We hope that the following documents and information will help you understand what you need to do in order to responsibly breed dogs, from proper licensing to humane treatment of your dogs.

If you are a High Volume Kennel or you think you may need to register as a High Volume Kennel with the Ohio Department of Agriculture, please visit their Commercial Dog Breeders Page  for information and resources more specific to you. 

For information on USDA registration please visit their webpage.

Please remember if you are ODA and USDA registered you are still required to purchase a county kennel license at a price of $1.00 per dog in the kennel.

Anyone selling their dogs retail is required to purchase a vendors license through the Holmes County Auditors Office. See more information below.

Anyone selling their dogs’ wholesale or to a pet store will need to obtain a brokers license with the Ohio Department of Agriculture. See more information below.

In 2019 the Holmes County Commissioners enacted a barking dog resolution for all of Holmes County. Its important that as a neighbor and as a fellow citizen you respect your neighbors privacy and desire for a peaceful atmosphere. The Holmes County Dog Warden’s Department is also responsible for investigating these complaints.

Important Resources

Shelters all across the nation refer to the below resource from the Association of Shelter Veterinarians when it comes to facility management, design, environment, sanitation, medical health and physical well being, behavioral health and mental well being, animal handling, and transportation of animals, among other things. We encourage dog breeders to follow the same guidelines and use this information as a resource. Guidelines For Standards of Care in Animal Shelters

When breeding dogs, it is crucial that you establish a relationship with a local veterinary clinic. Below is a list of local clinics that may be able to assist you.

  • East Holmes Veterinary Clinic PH# 330-893-2057 (Berlin Ohio)
  • Anderholm Veterinary Clinic PH# 330-893- 3256 (Berlin Ohio)
  • Danville Veterinary Clinic PH# 740-599-5991 (Danville Ohio)
  • Sugar Creek Veterinary Clinic: PH: 330-852-2321

Frequently Asked Questions

Answer: It depends. Here is the direct O.R.C Code 955.10 “No owner of a dog, except a dog constantly confined to a dog kennel registered under this chapter or one licensed under Chapter 956. of the Revised Code, shall fail to require the dog to wear, at all times, a valid tag issued in connection with a certificate of registration. A dog found not wearing at any time a valid tag shall be prima-facie evidence of lack of registration and shall subject any dog found not wearing such a tag to impounding, sale, or destruction.” Is your dog constantly confined as described? If you let them out on the farm or yard they are no longer constantly confined and would need to wear a tag.

Answer: The dogs on your property need to be registered under a kennel if they are breeding dogs or regular tags if they are not breeding dogs. Primarily it would be the owners responsibility to get the kennel registered or dogs registered. However, because the dogs are on your property and you are caring for them you are also responsible for them and that includes making sure they are properly confined, cared for and registered. If the owner refuses to register and you do not provide the information you could be charged with failing to register them.